Winter Soup is ideal for hungry people coming in from the cold. 's
This hearty soup should take around 15 minutes to prepare and 1 hour cooking time, for 4 large servings.
- Cooking fat (30g butter, say)
- 1 onion (or 2 small) chopped
- 4 carrots chopped
- 125g red lentils washed
- 50g or 2 small handfuls rice rinsed
- 1 tin chick peas in water
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic chopped, squished
- 1 litre boiling water
- 2 vegetable stock cubes crumbled (or equivalent in stock powder)
- pinch oregano
- pinch chilli powder
- shake of turmeric
- grate of black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat fat in large soup pot at low/moderate heat.
- Fry chopped onion and carrots in fat at moderate heat until softened, perhaps 7–10 minutes.
- Boil a litre of water.
- Add lentils, rice, garlic and chilli powder to pot and fry for another minute, stirring with wooden spoon.
- Add boiled water, chick peas, tomatoes and bay leaf.
- Crumble in stock cubes, stirring to dissolve, and add oregano, turmeric and black pepper.
- Bring to boil, stir well, reduce heat and cover pot and simmer for an hour.
- Serve in soup bowls, removing bay leaf before eating.
06 March 2019